Highway Technician Certification Program
The Highway Technician Certification Program (HTCP) certifies that you have demonstrated abilities to engage in quality control or quality assurance activities in highway work contracted by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT).
Through revisions in its specifications and contractual practices, WisDOT has developed quality management program specifications, placing the responsibility of quality control in the hands of the contractor. WisDOT has specified as part of its work provisions that all highway construction materials personnel be qualified through the HTCP Highway Technician Certification Program to sample and test construction materials to ensure the highest quality product is being produced.
The quality of highway construction depends on many factors such as planning, design, operations, maintenance, safety, traffic, environment, and economy. Part of the quality journey is being able to best satisfy the customer needs and expectations. Quality also depends on utilizing the skills of the best-qualified workers to meet or exceed the job performance expectations established by the customer.
Certification training has contributed to the following:
- Uniform interpretation of test results and specifications.
- Standardized test procedures, test methods, and apparatus.
- Cooperative working relationships among all parties.
- Increased worker skills based on merit.
- A higher skilled labor force in highway construction materials.
- Knowledge of how to use hands-on, state-of-the-art technology, methods, and equipment.
- Developing the confidence to know you are doing the job right.