Hall of Fame Selection Procedures
OBJECTS AND PURPOSES
- Identify, research, elect, promote and honor faculty, staff, retirees, alumni and friends as inductees into the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Arts and Letters Hall of Fame.
- Advance the interests and standards of the arts and letters at the UW-Platteville.
- Promote a mutually beneficial relationship between UW-Platteville and the greater community.
The Selection Committee is comprised of eight members.
- Six UW-Platteville staff members who serve by virtue of position
- UW-Platteville Dean of Liberal Arts and Education
- UW-Platteville Assistant Dean of Liberal of Fine Arts
- UW-Platteville Department Chair of Fine Arts
- UW-Platteville Department Chair of Humanities
- UW-Platteville Alumni Director
- UW-Platteville Education and Liberal Studies Alumni Chapter president
- One appointed Platteville/southwest Wisconsin area citizen member
- One appointed UW-Platteville retired faculty/staff member
Terms are six years for appointed members and begin Sept. 1. The two appointed members serve rotating terms with one member appointed every third year. The appointment of Selection Committee members takes place at the annual meeting.
The Selection Committee elects its own officers at its annual meeting in even-numbered years by a majority vote. Any officer member may succeed himself/herself. Officers include a chairperson, vice-chairperson, and secretary.
The function and duties of the officers are implied by their respective titles.
- The Chairperson presides at all meetings of the Selection Committee and implements policies and programs adopted by the Selection Committee. He/she is authorized to appoint sub-committees and chairpersons, and to take other actions as necessary for administration of adopted policies and programs, and other affairs of the Selection Committee.
- The vice-chairperson helps the chairperson by completing work assigned to them by the chairperson or the Selection Committee. The vice-chairperson will succeed to chairperson when there is vacancy in that office and preside at all meetings of the Selection Committee in the chairperson’s absence.
- The secretary will keep record of the proceedings of the Selection Committee and perform other duties specified by the chairperson or the Selection Committee. Any vacancy on the Selection Committee will be filled by appointment by the chairperson, subject to the approval of the Selection Committee, and will be for the unexpired term of such office.
SELECTION COMMITTEE MEETINGS
An annual meeting of the Selection Committee is held February at a time and place to be fixed by the chairperson. Notice will be mailed to all members no less than 10 days prior.
Special meetings of the Selection Committee are called by the chairperson or on petition in writing and signed by four or more members. Notice of such meetings, stating the time, place and nature of business to be conducted is mailed to all members at least 10 days prior to the date of the special meeting.
A quorum for any meeting of the Selection Committee must be 51% of the current membership.
All meetings of the Selection Committee are conducted according to Roberts Rules of Order to the extent that such conduct is not otherwise governed by these operating procedures.
ELECTION OF INDUCTEES INTO THE HALL OF FAME
Candidates for induction into the UW-Platteville Arts and Letters Hall of Fame must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Documented outstanding performance in arts and letters activities while a student at UW-Platteville with a graduation date five or more years previous to the current year; or
- Documented outstanding past or current teaching/facilitating learning/coaching in the area of arts and/or letters of 15 or more years; or
- Documented outstanding past or current contributions to the UW-Platteville arts and letters programs.
Nominations for the Arts and Letters Hall of Fame may be made by any Selection Committee member, any alumnus of UW-Platteville or any past or current faculty/staff member at UW-Platteville. Any nomination must include written documentation on the candidate outlining his/her qualifications and must be submitted to the College of Liberal Arts and Education Dean's Office by April 15. Copies of the nominations are then forwarded to all members of the Selection Committee at least one week before the annual meeting. Any candidate who is not elected in the current year are automatically reconsidered for the next two consecutive years.
Inductees into the Arts and Letters Hall of Fame are elected at the annual meeting of the Selection Committee.
Upon receipt of all nominations at the annual meeting, each Selection Committee member may then cast their vote for as many as four candidates. Voting is by written ballot and each candidate receiving at least 75% of the votes cast is elected to the Arts and Letters Hall of Fame. If fewer than four candidates are elected on majority vote, the Selection Committee may agree to elect fewer than four candidates. However, no more than four candidates may be elected in any one year.
Funds in support of the UW-Platteville Arts and Letters Hall of Fame and its activities come from the operational budget of the Liberal Arts and Education Alumni Chapter, the Dean of Liberal Arts UW-Platteville Foundation Development Fund, and/or donations from interested members, alumni or friends.
Hall of Fame Nomination Forms